Thursday, April 26, 2012

30 Things Every Woman Should Know by 30

Pin It!


The Huffington Post recently posted this article that they originally got from Glamour magazine. I've seen this list before, but now that I am closer to 30 (in 1.2 years) it resonated a little more with me then it did years and years ago.

By 30, you should have ...
1. One old boyfriend you can imagine going back to and one who reminds you of how far you’ve come.
2. A decent piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in your family.
3. Something perfect to wear if the employer or man of your dreams wants to see you in an hour.
4. A purse, a suitcase, and an umbrella you’re not ashamed to be seen carrying.
5. A youth you’re content to move beyond.
6. A past juicy enough that you’re looking forward to retelling it in your old age.
7. The realization that you are actually going to have an old age -- and some money set aside to help fund it.
8. An email address, a voice mailbox, and a bank account -- all of which nobody has access to but you.
9. A résumé that is not even the slightest bit padded.
10. One friend who always makes you laugh and one who lets you cry.
11. A set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black lace bra.
12. Something ridiculously expensive that you bought for yourself, just because you deserve it.
13. The belief that you deserve it.
14. A skin-care regimen, an exercise routine, and a plan for dealing with those few other facets of life that don’t get better after 30.
15. A solid start on a satisfying career, a satisfying relationship, and all those other facets of life that do get better.

By 30, you should know ...
 1. How to fall in love without losing yourself.
2. How you feel about having kids.
3. How to quit a job, break up with a man, and confront a friend without ruining the friendship.
4. When to try harder and when to walk away.
5. How to kiss in a way that communicates perfectly what you would and wouldn’t like to happen next.
6. The names of the secretary of state, your great-grandmothers, and the best tailor in town.
7. How to live alone, even if you don’t like to.
8. Where to go -- be it your best friend’s kitchen table or a yoga mat -- when your soul needs soothing.
9. That you can’t change the length of your legs, the width of your hips, or the nature of your parents.
10. That your childhood may not have been perfect, but it’s over.
11. What you would and wouldn’t do for money or love.
12. That nobody gets away with smoking, drinking, doing drugs, or not flossing for very long.
13. Who you can trust, who you can’t, and why you shouldn’t take it personally.
14. Not to apologize for something that isn’t your fault.
15. Why they say life begins at 30


And P.S. Our current Secretary of State is Hilary Clinton ;-)

Photobucket

35 comments:

Emily said...

ummm...as a 32 year old woman I would like to talk to these. Can I guest post my status/opinions?

lo @ crazy ever after said...

I know who you'd go back to (in reference to number one). Also. I read this piece recently somewhere else....I want to write about my take on it. Dirty Thirty Club Countdown. Make the button.

Elle said...

WHew! Glad I still have 7 ripe years to catch up on some of this stuff. Though I must say I do look forward to owning a piece of nice furniture that didn't come from a family member lol!

Tamaras Blend said...

Hahaha, nice post. :D

Hilary @ Hilabeans said...

LOVE these! I'm 20, so I still have 10 more years to grow and do/learn this stuff :)

Jenna // The Life of the Wife said...

Ok I love this..makes me want to turn 30 now :) HAHA not really..but at least I know what I'm getting into!
Jenna

PS I love the Secretary of State one :)

Sue said...

I'm actually surprised at how many of these I know/have... I still have a way to go though :)

Jenny Strickland said...

Love this! I saw this on another blog today and said I would have to read the article!

Denise said...

What a cool list! For only being 25 I'm moving right along with that list :)

Holly said...

I love this! Very intriguing, but true.

Amanda said...

I love this list! So true!

Joy said...

Wellll sh****ttt....I better get moving on this ;)

Jessica said...

i read this the other day somewhere else & thought wow I got 7 years to do/learn still!!!

It will be interesting to see how all of our lives are when we are 30!! time passes by too quickly!

Laura said...

Mostly agree but there are some things that I think you can cut 30 year olds some slack on...is it necessary to have that many boyfriends to look back on...a lot of married people I know have only had the one because they just didn't date until they were mature enough to realize what they wanted.

Kasey Lynne said...

Okay..NEVER would've guessed that you're 29. GIRL..you're lookin' good.

This article is freakin' hilarious. And my confidence level just went up about 5 points because I've accomplished a lot of these things hahahaha
*pat on the back*

Stephanie said...

I've got most of the "you should know" part down (except that last one) but I'm still working on the "you should have" stuff. Didn't make it by 30 so maybe I'll give myself until 35. :)

Baylee said...

This is great!

Charisma Moran said...

Proud to say that at 25 I can check off everything except:

7. The realization that you are actually going to have an old age -- and some money set aside to help fund it.


While I do have a little bit of money set aside, I definitely do not have enough to say that I can check this one off my list.

Laura said...

Great post! Good way to keep yourself in check! I'll be 30 in 1.2 years too! Scary!

I agree with all but #1. I don't have any exes I would go back to (they are exes for a reason!) but plenty I learned who I am from! Ha!

Vanessa said...

Im kind of loving this post love I must say!

Vanessa said...

Im kind of loving this post love I must say!

Cara said...

I love this post

Glad to know I still have a few years to figure some of it out :)

Katherine Krieg said...

this is very cute!!

Courtney said...

Love this! I've still got 7 more years but I'll be hanging on to this list! =)

Becky Borgman said...

I LOVE this list and, like you, 30 isn't TOO far away for me (I have 2.5 years) and I think I can say I am well on my way but still have lots to do and learn!

Melissa said...

Amira! I just retweeted this last night on Twitter. I think they're going to do an updated list based on reader submissions.

I'm 25 so I guess I have five years to figure out when to walk away and when to try harder. That's still one that I struggle with.

Emily @ Emmy June said...

I really love this list. Thanks so much for sharing. It's spot on, in my opinion...and not in a cheesy way, either.

I definitely feel like I'm on the right track to 30...and that life keeps getting BETTER every year. Bring it on!

Megan said...

Okay, so I'm 24 and I already have what all thirty year old woman have, but then reading through what a thirty year old woman should know, I could see that I'm still far off from the wisdom of the thirties

Samantha Green said...

love these! -- i've made a note of them :) xx

Unknown said...

#11 on things you should have cracks me up ! This list is awesome. Crazy how time will fly so fast, and I'll be 30 one day! Thanks for sharing !

Jussie De Guida said...

These are so interesting! PS, I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award!

Rebecca said...

I love this!

Ben & Cassie said...

Saw this, so great to remember, i like the place you know to feel calm and an umbrella you are not embarrassed about! Great Post

Robyn said...

great post-love it-but I better get to the shop and buy a cordless drill!!

Danielle said...

I love these lists! I have a year and a half to figure out a few, but I definitely have a better appreciation reading them today than 5 years ago! :) Thanks for posting! xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...