Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Beauty Dilemna

Pin It!

Hello gorgeous readers of Hollie Takes Notes!
I'm Amira from Shades of Gray
and I am taking over Hollie's blog for the day while she's in NYC
{lucky girl.}
With Summer quickly approaching, the thought of getting into a bikini anytime soon is frightening.
Months of hibernation have not left me feeling my best.
And while I definitely want to make healthier food choices
and get off my butt and exercise more often
I often think about how hard women are on themselves
when it comes to their bodies and the way they look.
{But mostly their bodies.}
I blame society for that.
I heard a statistic once that the models on tv
represent only 3% of the women in this world with the same body type.
This means that 97% of us will never look like the images
of the women we are bombarded with daily
in movies, tv, and magazines.
97% will feel like they've fallen short.
And that makes me sad.

In a college course we watched the documentary
Wow.
{If you have 4 minutes, watch this clip.}


A friend of mine on Facebook shared the link to this really great project:
You get to choose your dimensions:
height, weight, shirt size and shape,
and see real photographs of women
with the same measurements. 

This might help to put into perspective what you actually look like
{and not what you picture in your head}
And if you're brave enough,
maybe you'll post your own.

I think curves are beautiful
and I want to feel more comfortable with mine!
XO,
Photobucket

3 comments:

VIrginia said...

I love this! We have such different pictures in our minds of what we look like. It can be such pressure. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you shared that video. It is so incredibly true. Before I had a daughter, this sort of stuff didn't really bother me. But now I think about what kind of effect it'll have on her as she grows up. I just hope and pray that she gets her self confidence from her intelligence and her awesome personality instead of how she looks. (Now I sound like my mother....) :o)

Kelly said...

Cute blog Amira! That body gallery website is so very interesting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...